Thursday, June 18, 2009

One Art...

This is a poem by Elizabeth Bishop, which features in the movie "In Her Shoes" which I absolutely love (both movie and poem!). It goes like this...

The art of losing isn't hard to master:
So many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster,

Lose something everyday. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing further, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring you disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last,
or next-to-last, of three beloved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, and lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

-Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
The art of losing's not hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) a disaster.

PS # I don't know what is with me and poetry these days, but I guess I was thinking of Rashima and hence "In Her Shoes"

4 comments:

  1. hey started a blog of my own check it out at www.whatthehellishappeninghere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ART OF LOSING IS NOT HARD TO MASTER
    YET consequence would be a diasaster.


    hey i lv writing pooems too. thx for the information.

    hope to see you on my blog too

    PARAM
    mypoeticaccent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey param,
    i hope you noticed that the poem is not composed by me but by elizabeth bishop?
    and i will definitely visit your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude....this is so weird...i read this post today n watched d movie wid rashima earlier today only!!! Creepy!! Nice poem tho...

    ReplyDelete