Monday, May 25, 2009

The IPL Bonanza...

As the IPL (finally) comes to an end, one can't help but wonder how much more cricket one can digest. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge cricket fan myself but a month and a half of non-stop cricket (Two matches a day, for heavens sake!) can take a toll on your mental health. Add that to the fact that the 20-20 World Cup is coming up, and you've got yourself perfect conditions for a nervous breakdown. OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but with good reason! And it's not just the cricket that is endless, it's the analysis, that begins an hour before the game and continues for god knows how long after the game is over, I mean have they heard of the word 'overkill'? People just want to see a good game of cricket, with some classy shots and thrilling run chases, is that too much to ask for? Oh and don't even get me started me started on the new craze for '20-20' apparently to attract the female population, it has in fact served to lessen my love for the game quite a bit. But no matter what I say, I will still be caught glued to the TV from the moment someone calls 'heads' till the time they declare the 'Man of the Match' and also avidly reading the next morning's newspaper analysis of everything that went right and wrong in the match the day before. What can I say, you love it or hate it, there is just no escaping it (in this country atleast!)

2 comments:

  1. So true. Its not just a game in this country. Its a religion.
    I had the same habit in the IPL to be sticked to TV till the matches are done over with. And i am waiting so excitedly for the World cup. Well i hate watching TV , but 20-20 format has really gained my attention.
    The best part in IPL was that i was a fan of Hyderabad and it won.
    Looking forward to victory of India in the world cup once again. what say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, cheering for team india all the way, although may not be able to follow it as closely as last time!

    ReplyDelete